My boyfriend broke up with me because he said he needed to work on himself? What do you think about the way this happened?

Anonymous
So I met this guy back in October. He was in a halfway house doing good for himself. Clean, working and just had this aura to him. Well we started dating in November. In the beginning I’d say a majority of the relationship, he was a fantastic boyfriend. All the time. He sent me little heart emojis and kissy faces, texted me every morning and night and we hung out a lot, then two months later he moved in. Everything was still fine until he started to drink and do drugs again, after being clean and all for about a year. He started sending less and less touchy feely texts and saying them less, he didn’t really check up on me anymore and he just lost himself and the aura he had. Well last night he broke things off and said we needed to take a break to work on ourselves and better ourselves. He started the talk with I love you so much and this hurts me to say but... he told me that he still wants to be good friends and talk and hangout. That he doesn’t want to cut me out of his life. But he feels that he is going in a downward spiral and wants to find himself again and be better person. He said that he doesn’t want to be in a relationship Right now and just focus on himself. We both cried on and off for at least an hour. He hesitated packing his things and he would look around the room and start crying. He said we could maybe even go on some dates and we’ll still have bonfires and the such. He kept telling that he loves me and he didn’t want to do this but felt that he needs to work on himself. He was quite emotional that night. He gave me two hugs and a long kisses before left and as he was getting in the car he gave me the I love you sign. He would just repeat I don’t want to go but I have to work on me, wondering how my family is going to think of him and how much he loves me. He did say that it had nothing to do with the relationship but with him being at my house he just let himself go and that maybe one day we will get back together and have a better relationship.
2
0