Why is it that during a break up one or both people involved have to hurt the one they just invested time and love on?

itsnotthatsmall
The break up shouldn't be a huge fight, i know there's a reason for the breakup but like me i have 15 years into my last relationship and now i feel like I've lost all of those years cause im wanting to forget her.
I will always love her but her name calling and screaming and telling me she hates me and saying stuff to purposly try and hurt me makes me want to delete anything associated with her and unfortunately thats the majority of my life.
Im not saying i didn't do my share of the same thing but why? I hate it. 15 years we should of been able to walk away from eachother and supported eachother as we went our own ways right?
We also have 3 kids together and this is so mean to put them through.
5
5