What should be done in terms of returning gifts/favors from your ex-partner when you exit a relationship?

Should it be established from the beginning? Should you offer to return the gifts to be courteous? What if you want to return the gifts but your ex said you can keep them?

Applies to both genders.

Personally I'm not sure what I would do. I feel like I don't have to return things if they aren't that expensive (especially when it's hard to keep track) but if it's something valuable, like gold jewelry then yeah I would offer to return them. If he says I can keep it then either I'll donate it (just with all the other inexpensive gifts like teddy bears or bracelets) but if I'm broke myself then I'd use it for myself (since HE would say that I can keep it) and be grateful for it.
11
2