How to handle parents divorcing and the holidays?

Anonymous
Sorry in advance as this might get long.

My parents have decided to get divorced (they are nowhere near the point of civility either) and informed me just as I’m about to move out on my own. This was hard enough but now I can’t help but think of upcoming holidays and how that will impact them.

Both of my siblings are older and already have families of their own and live further away so they could (and probably will) just spend the holidays with their own families. However, I am younger, single, with no kids, therefore, have spent the holidays with my parents the past years even when my siblings didn’t join.

Now, with the holiday season approaching and my mom looking at moving away and my relationship with my dad basically becoming non existent I can’t help but think about what holidays will look like. Especially Christmas, it’s always been a “everyone comes together spends the night at the parents and decorates the tree with family ornaments”.

Any advice to making this feel less awful and like my whole family isn't falling apart? Anyone else’s parents get divorced when they were in their early 20s?
1
1