Why did he leave if I 'did nothing wrong'?

Anonymous
I am very fresh out of a breakup. The relationship was great, we really got to know each other, built a fantastic connection, went on dates, he asked me to be with him, said he loved me first, communication was great, we would see each other 2-3 times a week.
I basically live at my workplace (as in I have a flat on the grounds of the workplace), and due to the pandemic, my workplace closed. I have relocated to uptake the job at this workplace, but as I didn't want to be alone during lockdown, I went back home to my brother and dad's place (about an hour and a bit north). My ex encouraged me to go home as he knew he wouldn't be able to see me as often in order for me to be mentally ok and not suffer from loneliness. This was a few weeks ago. Everything was fine. The last week, I noticed he'd started being a bit more distant, but it sounded like he was having a stressful time at work. He asked me when I thought I would be coming back, and I explained that it unlikely that it would now be until March. He said 'hmm' when I told him that.
On the day of the breakup, we talked on the phone and things seemed really off. He felt very distant, cold, blunt. I asked him 2-3 times if he was ok (he said he was). About 10 minutes after that call, he text me and said he was ending it. He said I'd done nothing wrong, but he needed to work on himself and that he didn't want to be in this anymore. We had another phonecall (I spent the entire call crying), and since then (apart from a practicality issue where I need to transfer some money back to him for a trip we had planned), I've had no contact with him (and I don't plan to have contact either). I do worry that when I go back to my flat though, there is stuff there that is his, and I'll need to give it back, but it's unlikely I'll be going back until March.
I guess I would just like some opinions as to why (if I did nothing wrong and everything was so amazing) it just crumbled in the space of a week?
1
1