Guys, Why would he instigate everything in the relationship and then break up because we 'moved too fast'?

Anonymous
I recently was broken up with by my (now) ex-boyfriend. The relationship was great. We met online and I requested we talk for a good few weeks so that we could get to know each other/build a connection. That happened and it was great. We met, went on 3 dates (we saw each other quite quickly for those dates), he asked me to be with him, said 'I love you' first, showered me with gifts for birthday and Christmas.
I had to relocate because of lockdown away from him. He grew distant for about a week and then ended it with me. There were a mish-mash of reasons (he wanted to work on himself, didn't think he wanted to be in this), but he said I'd done nothing wrong, and one of the main things that was highlighted was that he felt things had moved too fast.
Why would he instigate so much of the relationship and then cut it off when things were really good?
2