Is it true that we sometimes can’t take the same hurt/pain we cause and give to someone else?

Anonymous
My ex left me after she became fed up with my abuse both physically and verbally. She left town and also changed her number. I have attempted to contact her through text free numbers but she was blowing me off at first, not responding and completely ignoring me and then she started to reply in ways she never does. She was rude and said some mean things and I was taken back so I responded just as rudely just to hurt her feelings back but she still blew me off and told me to stop texting her and to Leave her alone so I still ended up more hurt than her. I can understand she’s fed up, it’s only so much abuse she can take but I never thought she would really leave and then for her to treat me just as bad as I treated her our entire relationship, I can’t accept it for some reason.
2
0