How long does the effects of being in a physically abusive relationship last?

Anonymous
I have been out of my abusive relationship with my ex for almost two months now and I still, on most nights, wake up in cold a sweat. I’ll either be dreaming about what already happened or dreaming of what could happen if he got to me again or if I was foolish enough to take him back. I have random memories and flashbacks while I’m awake and some nights I still can’t sleep. I don’t believe therapy is necessary but I just figured after almost two months it would be better
2 mo
I also get really bad triggers. Like if I’m around another couple and they begin to argue and get loud, I fear someone is gonna get hit and It’s almost like I have small panic attacks and when I was with him he would always hit me whenever he felt I was staring at another guy. Even if I just happened to look up and caught eye contact with another guy out of coincidence, he would get upset and attack me and now after being away from him, I still look away from guys as if I’m still around him.
6
0