Boyfriend broke up with me because he didn’t feel successful enough for me. Is this a real reason or is it an excuse?

Anonymous
He’s 29, I’m 26. I have my masters in comp sci. He went to college for one year and dropped out. So he’s always just had odd jobs as a waiter, working on cars, minimum wage jobs, etc. He has never made good money and grew up poor as well. I grew up in middle class and I have always been spoiled.. and because now I make my own money and have a good job I do buy expensive clothing, have my hair and makeup always done, etc. I’ve been told I look high maintenance. However, I never judged him on his money or career and I have always been supportive of him in all ways. Even when he’d buy me gifts that were used off Amazon for $50 and I’d spend $300 on him, I did not care at all. And I never talked down to him once or asked him to ever buy me anything.

But as we continued dating this would weigh on him and he’d bring it up weekly.. he drank too much one night and started crying and I asked why and he said he never dated a girl like me ever and it scares him because he knows I don’t need him and I can do better than him and eventually I’ll just leave him and find a rich man. Sometimes he’d joke about being my trophy husband and say he’d learn to cook for me. He switched jobs twice since we dated and started getting increasingly more bitter towards the rich and also wanting to be one.

He finally broke up with me one night over text when he drank too much and we got into a fight and he said we’re done and I should find a man that is better suited for me to take care of me and is better than him.

Is this a self esteem issue of his? Is this a real thing for guys?
2
1