After a breakup, how do you handle mutual friends?

When you're in a relationship with someone, you get to know each others' friends and family and even make new friends. So when you break up, how you do handle your ex's friends/family and the friends you both made together?

Also, how do you deal with mutual friends talking about your ex? And do you worry that what you say and do will get back to him?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• You keep all your friends, even if they're also his friends, and you don't worry too much about what gets back to him. Hey, you're broken up, what does it matter? Of course you shouldn't bash him to people you know are his friends, unless you want trouble!

What Guys Said 1

• Act normally. Stressing special treatment actually ( as with anything ) makes it more awkward; you explain what happened and if it wasn't some terribly bitter breakup people will be alright. As a matter of fact it may so happen that you may even win sympathy if it was your partner; seen that before from pals and parents alike too. Just be yourself.

What Girls Said 1

• Ive been in the situation, act as if they are your friends who don't know him. Treat them the same as you always did and they will do the same, if they are really your friend. As for the parents it's harder because you may not see them anymore. I see my ex's parents randomly and I'm always very nice to them and they are to me too. You still know them as people, they are the parents and you do have the same friends but they are still people you know and like so I would treat them as that.