How to end a lifelong friendship?

She was my best friend from the time we were about 4 up until about 1 1/2 ago. I'm tired of her. She's one of those people that thinks she has it way worse off than anyone else. She has a bad home life, sure... but who doesn't? Her home life is bad, but know plenty of people who have it way worse than her. She thinks no on has a right to feel upset or sad about anything, but her life is worse. She constantly complains about her life. Even to people she barely knows. It's awkward. Things aren't great for her, but she's really immature about it. She also likes to argue about EVERYTHING. It makes her really mentally exhausting to talk to. She thinks she's right about everything... even if it's extremely obvious she's wrong. She's getting worse as she gets older. I really can't stand being around her anymore. The last time we hung out (which was almost 2 months ago) I left early because she was getting on my nerve so much. I've tried talking to her about this, but she won't listen to anyone.

She still tries to talk to me. She tries to text me. I don't ignore her, but I don't put any effort into carrying on the conversation. She invited me to Halloween party that her family is having, and I said I would go if I didn't have to work. But really don't want to. I haven't actually talked to her in almost a month, and I don't miss it at all.

We used to be best friends. I'm pretty much her only friend. I've never really ended a relationship before...so I don't know the appropriate way to go about doing it.

And please excuse the spelling errors... My sister spilled something on the keyboard. So it doesn't work very well...

11

What Guys Said 1

• You can't or it's not a lifelong friendship.

• I'm 20. I've been friends with her my entire life. So I believe that's defined as a 'lifelong friendship' up until this point in my life. Duh. Not helpful at all.

• LOL, I get it

What Girls Said 1

• If you feel that you just can't be friends with her anymore, take her somewhere were it will just be you and her, to avoid any public altercations, and tell her how you feel. Maybe if you explain to her that her complaining is getting old and she should be thankful for what she has and stop dwelling on it. Maybe not in the exact way I put it but in a not so harsh way. Maybe she'll understand and tone it down. At least give her a chance to try to change. If you have to be harsh, it may be the only way to get through to her. If she refuses to change then tell her to find someone new to complain to because she just lost her best friend. If you all's friendship means anything to her she'll straighten up.

• I've tried having that exact conversation with her more times than I really care to. : ( I've been trying for probably the past year or two. It just gets worse and worse. She absolutely will not listen to anything anyone says, and she'll freak out and start yelling and screaming about how I'm 'bitcing' at her. It pisses me off. Like, I actually have to restrain myself from slapping her sometimes. I'm past trying to fix it. I don't even want to anymore.

• I was going to suggest slapping her, because I like that solution better than talking but, that's not going to fix the problem. Just tell her then that you can't be friends with her anymore and if she asks why just tell her it's because she bitches about her life all the time and you're sick of it. She isn't the only one with a hard life and problems and she can't go around throwing her problems on everyone else. If she can't accept the fact you're trying to be a good friend to her then...