When someone says a lot of words you don't know, do you get annoyed with them?

Why or why not? They just constantly use a bunch of words that aren't used in everyday speech by people. Do you get annoyed? Would you?

1911

Most Helpful Girl

• If the person is being a self-centered showing their ass trying to act as though their above everyone, that their smarter ticks me off! I don't want people like that in my life at all it is like they are out to hurt people's feelings that way just to stroke their little ego.

A drunk that uses a lot of words I don't know is hilarious :D

A person that speaks another language or a language I am in the process of learning then I get frustrated, overwhelmed, and jealous.

What Girls Said 18

• Not usually because that doesn't happen to me very often, lol. It's only annoying if they're using the words wrong, or if they're obviously using extra flowery language to come off more intelligent. It's usually pretty easy to tell. If that's just how the person talks, then no problem. I understand what they're saying most of the time, and if I don't, I just ask for a clarification.

• Nah, that happens quite frequently. My parents are always discussing their work at home and I only understand about 70% of what they're saying because their conversation's usually filled with all these scientific words and procedures I've never heard of. It doesn't really bother me, I just ask them about it if I'm interested or look it up myself. Learning new things is always cool with me.

• I'm usually that person.

I asked the other day if I should turn on the subsequent street without thinking about it.

So when I met another one, its exciting. Words are fun.

That said, in one of my freshman classes in college there was one of Those people. His parents were English professors, and he liked to use fancy language as a means of validating his argument. I rebuttled him one day with the fact that fancy language and looking down your nose doesn't make your answers about physics correct, gravity is still going to pull you down no matter what you say.

He shut up after that.

• i nod and pretend I know exactly what they're trying to say

• Exactly lol...

• Speaking as someone who is often accused of using words that I don't need to (although I'd disagree!), it's much better if you simply ask what they mean, or if they can rephrase. It's a lot better than nodding dumbly and failing to learn, imho.

• Usually, I am the person using "unknown" words.

• No. I have a pretty good vocab tho so I'm cool. I do hate when people talk in text speak or use internet memes in conversation all the time, it bugs me.

Saying stuff like " Y You NO ___!?" "I do it for the lawlz" "I call hax!1!1!" "le ____" "Trolololo" etc

My friends do it all the time (guys and girls T.T), but it doesn't bother me as much. I just won't use it myself.

• It doesn't happen to me often, but when it does, I get intrigued. I try to remember the ones that I like. Usually they don't use a LOT of words I don't know, though.

• Nooooooooooo. I just say to myself sh*t I got go and memorize the dictionary. I love it

• Sorry, I'm guilty. I just tend to use words I find have the best definition for what I want to say. But when someone else does it, I admit my ignorance and ask them what the words they're using mean.

• No, it doesn't happen very often, when it does, I ask them what it means. If it's someone trying to show off, 9 times out of 10, they don't even know what they have just said. Puts them in their place. But truly, if I don't know, I ask because I want to know. I also use the dictionary all of the time. It's a lost art. Too bad too. I think when you actually look a word up, you remember it, spelling, definition & usage.

• As Ixi10 said,nod and pretend like I know what are they talking about :D

• I don't mind because I do that to my friends and they have yet to spew any word that can stump me. Waves Finger its because they didn't like reading as a child. Reading read read. But no I don't get annoyed.

• No, because I like words.

• hell yeah. Makes me wanna scream "speak english not your dictionary"

• It doesn't bother me. It just confuses me, haha. But then they're inadvertently expanding my vocabulary, too, so it's all good. :P

• Just be sure you're positive about the meaning of the newly-acquired words, lest you inadvertently say something stupid while trying to look smart(er)! xD That could end.. badly. It'd probably be funny though.

• Hahaha, no kidding. It's okay, I have my trusty dictionary/thesaurus for that. :D

• no I just feel dumb and get the feeling of studding the dictionary every day and not feel stupid...

• I carry around this mini computer dictionary. It comes in handy.

• No, I just bust out a dictionary or ask them what it means.

I love language, so I love learning new words :)

However, if they are doing it just for the sake of being sesquipedalian then it's just pompous.

• and isn't it ironic that the word to describe the use of long words is so f*cking long?

• I love how the word which represents a method of remembering things easily is "mnemonic". Itself not a word easily remembered.

• Or 'phonetic' to describe words that are spelt as they sound. The irony :)

What Guys Said 11

• Yes. It's very annoying. It only happens of course when I visit a bilingual setting and all of a sudden they start speaking French on me. Really pisses me off. But I'm on "their" turf so what can a person do except feel like a dope. I felt so lost. But I don't put myself in that situation if I can help it and the bilingual family that was the focus of this mess is no longer in town.

Keeping strictly to the English vernacular my wife tells me that she used to confuse her ex boyfriend all the time by her command of the language when apparently he's a real dunce and was glad when she met me because I understood what she was saying.

• Usually it's jargon talk and they know damn well I'm not supposed to understand them. Yes it annoys me because they are being pricks.

• No, I don't get offended. If I hear a word I don't understand, I might ask for clarification or just go look the word up in a dictionary myself.

• Generally I'm the one using the big words o-o

• only when I can tell they are doing it to try and show they are superior. But if they are genuinly smart then idc

• Nah I pretend to know what they're saying and oftentimes I can BS my way through.

• No, I just try to go along and find little clues or hints of what they words mean and go from there.

• sounds like a typical woman

• Nah, it just means I still got a lot to work at.

• Jargon talk is as useless as country slang. You're just fine.

• I hate it outside of a professional environment. I like it better when people "KISS".

K - Keep

I - it

S - simple

S - s**thead

• No, I get a dictionary.