Do you think flirting online can be called cheating?

well that's my question, I just wanna know what yall think.

78

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's just flirting, I don't think so. Flirting has so many different connotations to it. But, if you are looking for a date out of flirting, then I think so. If you feel it's a betrayal of trust to the person you are involved with, then it should be considered cheating. Cheating is the act of betrayal, not necessarily a physical act or sex or flirting, it's the sense of being dishonest to another person that makes it a form of cheating.

But, if it's just playful banter or whatever then you're not crossing any lines. However, it's easy to get to a point where the banter becomes fantasy in a sense. Then you have to ask yourself, is fantasizing considered cheating. I don't believe it is because it's not a betrayal of trust. But then if your banter becomes a means to try and get into another relationship that's more then friendship with another person and the one you're with would feel hurt and betrayed by that, then that is definitely cheating.

Just be careful how far you go with the flirting and understand where it's leading you.

What Guys Said 7

• flirting is flirting regardless online or offline, its the desire to do so that makes it wrong.

• There is no black and white rule about this. Some couples find it OK, others don't. Best way to determine: talk to your partner. Not an easy conversation. But a relationship needs clear rules instead of assumptions.

So: it's wrong when you know it would upset your partner and you do it anyway.

• It's cheating. How dare he flirt online!

• sounds like it... it prompted you to ask this question so it must be weighing on your mind.

• Not really. When explicitly sexual comments get involved and sending pictures gets involved I find that as cheating.

• Yeah I do.

• if you are in a relationship then yes.

What Girls Said 7

• No, but it can lead to the act of cheating.

It is still very deceptive and can hurt your partner's feelings

• If you mean like flirting with suggestive/sexual comments and compliments, then yeah.

• Yup. It most definitely is and this leads to even more. Most affair's actually start online and it often leads to a sex chat anyways. Flirting is flirting regardless of where it's done.

• to me cheating is something that can only be done in person

• I would think so, yes it is. If there are a lot of winks and smiles involved.

• No, I don't really see how someone can REALLY flirt online though.

• In my opinion, yes. A person should be committed to one person.