Break up excuses?

Would you accept 'I'm in love with someone else' as a break up excuse?

If your partner said that to you for the reason they are breaking up, would that be adequate enough?

This would be instead of giving you a BS reason like 'It's not you, it's me."
2nd question: You would rather be told this than have her/him cheat on you right?

910

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. I would be able to move on faster if they gave me that excuse..

• I rather be told that he's in love with someone else. At least, I know he has the decency to tell me. Instead going off and having some affair that causes more drama for the both of us.

What Girls Said 8

• That's more than adequate. I'd almost prefer they didn't tell me that, though.

• @update: that's a bit to generic/non-specific

• I'd be left wondering if someone told me that. I mean, even just saying they had a change of heart or lost feelings for me would be a little better.

• @update: hell yes.

• Yes, because I want the person to be with the person they love, and of it isn't me then they shouldn't be with me. It's not fair to either of us.

• Well I thought everything was fine with me and my boyfriend and then I rang him tonight to have a chat and see how his day was and he tells me he thinks we need a break and he can't see me anymore... all because of some silly reason... we have been togegther for 14 months

• This was done over text... he kept hanging up on me and then just wouldn't answer my calls... ass hole... he cheated on me once and I took him back... silly girl...

• Wait! Hold the line folks!

If your partner tells you that, it MEANS that they have already BEEN cheating on you. DUH!

How do you think they fell in love?

• Well, I can't think of a better reason to accept from them. Can you?

I didn't say I'd like it, just that I'd accept it, then, think terrible thoughts about them, and...

• I would let them go of course saying "Get out of my life!" but in the long run it would help me out.

• that is hurtful to hear

• But better than any other excuse you'd likely get right?

• yea...i think so

What Guys Said 10

• At this point in time, I'd be OK with it.

If this was several years ago, I'd be heartbroken.

Changing yourself for the better is good :D

• Well, if she truly was in love with another guy, then I would have to respect her decision and honesty and let it go. I would accept that and just move out the way, I would be hurt of course, but I would just try to move on .

• You wouldn't think it was BS?

• Nope, if she said she's in love with someone else, then obviously she means it. Whether its the truth or not, she doesn't want to be with me in the end, so I would just try to accept that reality despite the fact I don't want to.

• I'd rather not know, I'd rather them dissapear and die than be told that

This word springs to mind link

• That actually happened to me. I didn't want to accept it but there was nothing I could do. If that's how she felt then I had to let her go. She came back to me.. My mistake for letting her back in but that's another story lol.

• If they truly did love someone else what can you do?

• What choice do you have in the matter? If someone is break up with you, they don't want to be with you anymore. You can accept it or you can pathetically drag yourself through the mud trying to keep them and probably end up getting cheated on. It may hurt to let them go, but you're only fooling yourself if you think it will be better by refusing to accept that they are breaking up with you.

• @update: Most people are too cowardly to tell the real reason. Your reason sounds like as much BS as anything else.

• Whatever the truth is... It depends on what is happening in the relationship. If someone is being uncompromising, clingy, hurting your feelings, playing games, not respecting you, etc. If stuff was happening in the relationship and it was what was on your mind and you were blunt and said, I can't take this stuff anymore, I'm sick of you and this is why, and I respect myself to walk away from this crap, then it's believable. It will sting deep, but it's real.

• Most people avoid telling the truth and just walk though, because it can seem really bitter and mean to tell the truth many times. The truth hurts. That's why they say lovers lie endlessly but only enemies tell the truth. It's very true.

• Sure, everyone has free will. They'd better not assume we are going to be friends though. And god help them if they come back around if their new relationship fails. They would get accosted with a vitriol they'd never forget.

• Yeah. Why be with someone who doesn't love you?

• Adequate enough for what? You to stop trying to change their mind? Stop questioning them?

• If you are in love with someone else, tell her that. She deserves the truth. If you're just trying to get rid of her because of whatever reason, I would say that this is probably not a good thing to say. She could spread the word that you have been "emotionally cheating" on her, which is worse in some girls' eyes.