Friends with the ex boyfriend. Can it be done?

My ex boyfriend and I have just friend zoned each other due to having plenty of 'mutual friends' now and the possibility of running into each other again.

He asked me if I was fine with it. As it was the mature way to go about it and I agreed.

Experiences to share anyone?

Has anyone experienced this?

34

Most Helpful Guy

• my ex and I are pretty much closest friends right now. it took its time, but it was worth it.

the fact, that we used to love each other and had a long term relationship, made us even better friends, since we understand how the other works. so we can make each other feel better, since we know each others weaknesses and fears. I know that it's not anything common, but I wouldn't want to change this. it's just awesome having a friend like her, who can emotionally strengthen me.

(it's just important, that both parties know what they want. I wouldn't want to get back with my ex and neither does she.)

What Guys Said 3

• Sure it can be done. Thousands of people do it. The only real obstacles are 1) if one or the other of you doesn't respect the other enough to hide those occasional non-platonic twinges that will pop up from time to time or 2) if one or the other of you harbors feelings of ownership, paternalism, dominance, or some similar feeling that you have a right to have a vote in the other one's private life. If neither of those things are in the way, the only thing that can stop you is fear.

• Depends on the both of you, one of you might fall for each other again. My rule is, if we break up I cut you out of my life, even if we have mutual friends. Hangout at different times basically.

• I know of two divorced couples who have friend zoned each other and they still get along together.

What Girls Said 3

• A long as you don't have feelings for him anymore it'll be fine. I have an ex that is probably my closest friend now. We struggled at first because I still had feelings for him, but once I outgrew them we were fine.

• My ex is making an effort to be friends, but I'm struggling with it, I just don't think I can do it. it's so hard to be friends after being in a relationship with the person

• My best friend is also my ex boyfriend of 8 years. We broke up because we wanted different things and going in different directions. It took us awhile to get there but we are there. It was hard at frist because we had a lot of the same mutual friends but that is also what shocked us into our friendship. He had feelings for me awhile after we broke up and that made it alittle bit more difficult. Once he accepted our break-up we were able to move to a place to understanding, respect and love.

Here we are now after four years of being broken up and we get great along great. Our friends say that we act more like twins then exs. We are very close and talk almost daily.

Best of luck to you and your relationship