He wants to be friends with you after the breakup?

My ex boyfriend recently broke up with me. We were dating for a year and I was heartbroken. I love him very much and he broke up with me through a text. He didn't want to talk about it but he still wanted to be friends. Since we broke up we've been hanging out just as much but he seems to care less now and there's nothing sexual going on anymore. I like hanging out with him but it hurts to leave now. I think I'm hanging out with him because I'm hoping he's going to change his mind. Is that possible? I like having him as a friend he's been the only one there for me for the past couple of years and I can't imagine him not being around. I don't know what I should do.

23

Most Helpful Girl

• You should go no contact for awhile. Too many people make the mistake of trying this tactic post break up. All it does is make things worse for the one who was dumped. They cling on to that small sliver of hope that the new ex will want to get back with them.

The reality of the situation is that you should get far, far away from this person. Give yourself some time. Like a month or two (depending on the length of the relationship). Not a few days. Not a week or two. We're talking multiple weeks.

When people break up, there's a mourning process. You cannot go through all the stages if the ex is hanging around, hampering the progress of those stages. Given how he broke up with you, not only are you trying to cope with the break up itself, but the wtfery of how he broke up with you (which is the lame, p**** way out, btw).

So chica, you should go do you, forget him for awhile (as much as it sucks and it will be difficult to handle), go hang out with friends and get your mind off of it. Further down the road, when you've coped with all the emotions and the other crap that comes with being dumped, THEN bring up being friends.

Btw, "let's be friends," is the p**** way out, 8-9 times out of 10. It makes them feel better for dumping you and eases THEIR guilty mind. All it does to the dumpee is string them along and give them false hope.

What Guys Said 3

• You should leave him alone. What you're offering isn't friendship, but a hidden agenda. While he's thinking that he has a friend and just a friend in you, you know very well that this isn't the case, that you have other plans. If you're hoping to get back with him, be up-front about it. Don't be sneaky.

• I was never much for being friends with somebody I break up with.

Oh I can be POLITE but if I wasn't good enough to keep dating I'm not good enough as a friend I suppose.

• nothing wrong with keeping friends :B

What Girls Said 1

• As for me, I don't want to be with any relationships with boy that completely f*ck me over. Doesn't mean to be rude, just been there, done that. No chance at all.