Do you stop seeing someone if your parents don't approve?

For me family is extremely important and I'm very close to them, so if my folks and the guy I'm dating didn't get along I would strongly consider dumping him. But I also believe that occasionally your parents can be wrong, so I would be torn between dumping him and staying with him.

So tell me if you were in a situation where your family didn't like the guy/girl you were seeing, would you dump them?

• I would stop seeing them altogether
  • I would ignore my family and continue to see them
  • I would listen to my family but I wouldn't act until I had made up my own mind
    Vote C
  • Other (please explain)
    Vote D
Select a gender to cast your vote:
Lets say it would be a fairly new relationship and you haven't really made your mind up about the person yet :P

710

Most Helpful Guy

• I think my parents and I have pretty much the same tastes. Their judgement has always been pretty good AND they've always seemed to respect mine. When they're worried enough about something to mention it to me, I usually consider what they have to say. They are voicing their concerns out of love, after all.

What Guys Said 9

• If I felt strongly about the person I am not going to stop seeing them but if it was new relationship or something I'd consider breaking it off

• Compatability is very important in relationships. That means seeing the big picture. Yes, it's important that a guy and girl love each other, but if it's making everyone around them miserable, then there will be problems. I would want to be able to visit her family without dreading it every time and have her feel likewise.

• I would say that I have the kind of exacting standards where, if I liked someone and approved of them, then everybody else on the planet probably would too. But I voted B.

• My family and I have had a lot of clashes. They generally have not liked the people I've linked up with. Well, they have never met any of my ex boyfriends, only some of (but not all) of my ex girlfriends. They usually passed judgment and I realized eventually that I just can't talk to them anymore. While it wasn't always true it seems now I get along better with my mother in law than I do with my own parents (my father in law is dead).

• It depends on how long we've known each other and, I'll be honest, how pretty and healthy she is.

I'm about as discerning as my parents in regards to morality, so we rarely clash. However, their concerns can be just as immature as mine. The first thing my father asks if I mention the new girl in my life is, "Well, is she pretty? Hey, come on. First thing's first!" The first thing my mother asks is, "Does she want kids?" Then, "Does she go to church?" Followed by, "And is she pretty?"

• Anyone who would is a stupid fool. Don't rush anything with the person, but parents don't necessarily know what's best. They might think they do, but of course they won't.

• No because they chose who you can see or not the pretty much tell you everything you can and cannot do...next they will be telling me what color boxers too put on----nope not happening

• No I wouldn't, my parents would at least try to make an effort to get along with them. I would expect that much of them. If I was really early into the relationship, I'd consider their opinions, but aside from that.

• No I'll go against them till I win

What Girls Said 7

• You can consider your parents feelings,but you cannot have them dictate your life/decision making. It is ultimately up to you. They may not like him now but if this is some one you eventually choose to stay with they will eventually learn to accept him.

• Im not the typical teenage idiot. I'm a young woman. I would never date a person who caused my parents alarm so that's pretty much that. My mom hasn't spent the time it took me to know them to accept the mutual relatioship title. Boyfriend. So no they wouldn't just get to pop up and say I don't like him, dump him. Plus I'm strong willed, free spirited, and head strong.

• i ALWAYS follow my heart when it comes to guys,

so there's NO way I'd listen to my parents opinion on a guy.

i'll stay with him as long as I want too:)

• My family has different feelings on my boyfriend, my mom know he makes me happy but she doesn't really like him. My grandma pretty much told me to go with my heart, and my brother thinks he's OK. Anyone of them could be right, so I take in advice from them and follow my heart too.

• No I don't.

My parents didn't like my ex but they tolerated our relationship because it was what I wanted. I'll listen to what my parents have to say, but I won't adhere to it. I make up my own mind based on my own judgments.

• For me if my parents gave me a good soild reason, like drugs or something, I'd stop.

• I did that once because my parents thought he was a 'bad boy'. Never again.