Why would a guy be scared of you?

Anonymous
This is kind of a follow up question to one I asked last week, so I apologize if you guys are getting sick of me. So I have been seeing a guy for almost two months now. About a week ago he told me he loved me twice while he was drunk, but then basically took it back both times. The next day when he remembered what he said, he said that he didn't feel so bad about it. After talking to some friends, I got some courage to actually say it to him the next time we hung out. So he made me this birthday/pre Thanksgiving dinner (since I can't go home with him on Thanksgiving), and we did have a lot of fun making it together.

Well I started to fall asleep on the couch while we were watching a movie. So he gave me a little more space to lie down, and right after he kissed me goodnight I said I love you. His response was 'wh what.' He didn't say it back, but he squeezed me and kissed me like 20 times on the back.

So then a couple days ago, I go over and he's completely sh*tfaced-worse than before. Throughout the night he says a few times that he loves me. So when we both kind of woke up early in the morning, I asked him why can you only say those three words while you are drunk. And he responded because he was scared. When I asked him of what, he said me.

If a guy knows he has said those three words to you drunk, and is apparently OK with knowing that, why would he be scared to say it sober? And why would he be scared of me?
Why would a guy be scared of you?
1
1