My ex is a liar, but why?

So long story short, a month ago, after a year and a half of dating, my ex ended it with me over text message telling me that he wanted to be alone, and didn't want to be in a relationship. He was my first love and I was devastated. I deleted all of our pics, his #, and took all his things he gave me, and put them in my storage closet. Now, fast forward a few weeks. I asked one of my good friends to go on my instagram and unfollow him for me, and she found out that not only did he block me, he also began to date a girl when it wasn't even a month since we broke up. He and this girl were talking a lot more before we broke up, and he started to emotionally disconnect from me, and started to run to her when he had a problem instead of his girlfriend. It's like he never loved me at all :(. My questions are 1: Why would he hide this new relationship from me? And 2: Is he rebounding? I just want answers
The reason why I had asked my friend to do it rather than I do it is because I gave up instagram for Lent.
P.S. he ended it via text

02