At what age and point in a relationship do you think it is acceptable to move in with a bf/gf?

I am 22.

How long do you think you have to be together before moving in with your significant other?
I am not toying with the idea, justoon thinking. I have no plans of doing this anytime soon, need a better job before I get a place of my own

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I'm going to tell you what my mother told me. When you move out of your parents' house (if you haven't already done so) and then live on your own for a little while. Just so you can prove to yourself that you can make it. Then start thinking about moving in with him. It will make you more confident if something unexpected ever happened. If you are having to ask if it is too soon to move in, then it is my guess that you think it is and just don't want to say it out loud. Trust your instincts. You DON'T have to move in at all. Take your time, get to know a person, find out if you want to spend that much of your life with them before you commit to anything. Are your discussion/negotiation skills good enough to handle a fight about toilet paper?

You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. There are two types of people in the world: those who like their toilet paper to come from over the top of the roll, and those who insist that toilet paper was meant to come from underneath the roll. And each camp is convinced that theirs is the right way. Check with your sweetie before you rent the moving van: is he or she an over-the-topper our out-from0the-bottomer? And if (gasp!) you suddenly realize you're in a ‘mixed' relationship, don't panic. If you can't work it out, either get two separate toilet paper holders, or do what my husband and I do: don't put the paper in the holder at all - just leave it on the counter. That way the cat can't unroll it all over the floor, which is an added benefit.

A sub-category of the toilet paper roll war is the toothpaste tube skirmish where the battle lines are drawn four ways: cap-ons, cap-offs, squeeze-from-the-middles, and neat-rollers. Don't even go there. Get your own personal tube of toothpaste!

Are you spending most or all of your free time at each others' homes already?

And are you doing so without either of you feeling hampered or suffocated? If you both enjoy each others' constant non-working time company, then you're good candidates for sharing a land phone line and a refrigerator.

Do you want to live together for more than financial reasons?

Two really can live more cheaply than one, but it's a crappy reason to move in together, and the relationship is not in good shape if that's all you're thinking about. However, if it's because you're contemplating a more permanent relationship, or you really do like each other that much (notice I said like, not love. Like is just as important, if not more), then I say go for it!

Can you two agree on which would be the best place to live: your place, your sweetie's place, or a totally new place?

Be honest. Is there enough room at either place for two people and all their stuff without the original sole occupant feeling encroached upon? Talk about this a lot and I mean a lot, before you decide.

If your sweetie once shared his or her place with a former love, you may very well feel like you're moving into the ex's ‘home' and not a ‘home' you two can forge for yourse

• this comment has a lot of good insight...me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 5 months and we spend almost all the time together and we have our fights here and there but we get over it and move on...im getting ready to move out of my moms house and I'm gonna live near him but not with him and once both our leases end we'll have been together 10 months and we're probably gonna move in together...we spend so much time together and we don't feel suffocated..sometimes it gets to be too

• This is hilarious, but spot on. BA?

• ;)