Does a Facebook Relationship Status really matter?

I just got back with an ex that I dated 5 years ago. I always change my relationship status to "in a relationship with..." but he straight up told me last night when we got together that he doesn't want to change it because of certain people he has on his profile...

He's also a very private person, so I understand this. I trust him but part of me is afraid that he's hiding the relationship so he can try to meet other women...

It's so silly and I can't believe I feel like this, but does it really matter whether or not its on Facebook?
Updates:
I guess I shouldn't have trusted him; He left his Facebook signed in on my computer and there were messages from him telling some girl that he loves her. So yeahhh...

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it does, If he won't change his relationship status because of "certain people," tough. He could leave it blank, but he'd better not put "single." That would be a deal breaker for me. If he wants to be with me, he has to own it. Facebook is such an important part of life, whether we think it's frivolous or not. I always change my status if I am in a relationship with someone. Always.

1|1
    0|1
    • So, if he wants to leave the status blank, that's okay I guess, but if he leaves it "single," you have a problem...

• Show All
    • Suspicion) is the guy is cheating, maybe a 7 if no cheating happened. Cheating is a 10. Of course, I'm talking snooping that happens not because of hacking passwords, it's usually when you stumble on something. If it was that easy for you to find it, maybe he wanted to be caught. I don't tell anyone my passwords but my SO could look through all of my secret business and find nothing. I think that if you get the urge to snoop, you sense he may be cheating anyway. JMO.

• Thanks for BA! :D

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• He doesn't have to change it. Look it would be very nice too. But he probably has people from work on there. When people at work figure out your in a relationship, it changes your work environment. Not flirting or anything, but people act weird around you. Don't be afraid. He will one day change it, let him take his time. And I'm pretty sure if you guys dating 5 years ago. Then he's not really trying to screw it up this time.

0|0
    0|0
  • imo leaving the relationship section blank is OK, because she may not want friends and family to constantly fish her for information once the relationship change is either seen in others' news feed or on her profile.

But putting it "single" imo is NOTHING but deceitful...imo there's no excuse to portray yourself on the internet as "available" when you're not.

1|0
    0|0
  • no,no.. I did not changed my status for last 2 relationship both of them ended.

we had lots of common friends and family members, it was not hard for me the change is, but others sides always warn it..

do not consider it as a matter pls.

0|0
    0|0
  • Facebook relationship status means nothing to me. I have mine hidden.

1|0
    0|0
  • no

I left mine blank... I did not want stalkers lol

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't matter to me, but I think you're feeling what is very typical for a girl to feel.

It's the girl who is adamant about what goes on Facebook, and guys don't give a crap.

And if you think about it, it is utterly irrational on the girls part, because if a guy is the sort of guy who will cheat on you, then a Facebook status isn't going to suddenly change that.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Not really, I don't mind going as far as saying 'in a relationship'. Don't need to say with who, just won't say 'single' because if you aren't that's lying.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, I never put my relationships status on fb, because if my brother reads it, he will tell my parents. My parents really hate it if I have a boyfriend. Just because its not on fb, doesn't mean its not there.

0|0
    0|0
  • - It's just Facebook. As long as you trust him that's all that really matters. But me myself if we are in a relationship together then there shouldn't be anything to hide. !

0|0
    0|0
  • no way, it's just Facebook, people take it too serious

1|1
    0|0
  • It's funny that you ask this, because I had a fight with my boyfriend last week and (in a rage) changed my status to single. He deleted his Facebook and changed my profile picture and all that crap. We worked it out, and now I feel stupid for publicizing it.

I decided to delete my relationship status all together so it shows nothing. The people that need to know already know what's going on and no one needs the drama of a Facebook status.

I can see where you'd be concerned, but the only thing that would make this an issue is if he insists on keeping his status saying "single." Then it's shady.

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes