Should I wait to see if things improve or just break up and find someone else?

Is a relationship supposed to make you happy or cause stress? My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 months. Maybe it's his personality, but he rarely ever says anything sweet. Most of the time, he's complaining about his job, how he's not feeling well, or he's talking about the new game he's addicted to. I've tried to hint that we need to work on "us" a little more or this isn't going anywhere, but he'll always just say in time we'll figure it out.

I don't want to bring it up too often since it would just sound like I'm nagging. If a guy can't see the problem, should I just let it go and perhaps find someone else?

36

Most Helpful Guy

• If your portrayal of your relationship is accurate, then I think you really need to talk with him and see if he is willing to change. As it seems right now, he seems a bit selfish. A relationship should always be mutually satisfying, and there's always going to be some stress in it. The question is, is it a good stress where you both are trying to make something happen that will even bring you closer? Or is it a bad stress, where one or both are feeling neglected which will draw you apart.

He seems a bit selfish as he's focusing on immediate happiness, i.e. his hobbies, video games. The truth of the matter is relationships require effort and interaction and that requires communication. He is going to have to realize that if you're not willing to share his deep rooted interest in video games, he will have to devote less time to it and more time to you. Compassion and compromise also goes a long way.

If he's not willing to change after you speak with him, then it's evident you won't be happy, to which at that point, you should consider ending the relationship and focus on happiness with someone who better shares your interests.