Is contacting my ex (for closure, that's it) a good idea?

It's been almost a year since we broke up, and we never actually had the closure of breaking up in person, we just kinda stopped talking after I moved away last spring. He did text me in October to say he was sorry for letting it end in such a lame way, and we talked a bit but it became pretty clear that he was trying to get back with me and I stopped talking to him. I'm going back to his city for a weekend coming up, though, and he said before that he'd really like to see me the next time I'm around. I've been thinking for months about whether I want to contact him about getting lunch, but I don't know if it's a good idea.

Just to be clear, I don't want to get back together with him. I'm in a serious long-term relationship and we're actually in such a happy place right now, that I think now is the best time to meet with my ex. I won't be doing it out of desperation, and I know that I am absolutely over him, but at the same time I'd like to talk to him one last time and end it on good terms. I don't think I'll be out in that area again for a long time, so it might be my only chance to get the closure that he and I never had. I just don't know if it would be weird to ask him to meet me after all this time. Is it a bad idea?

37

Most Helpful Guy

• No it is not a great idea, I did that with an ex girlfriend and ended up sharing a house with her and was used as a sex outlet for her, may have been handy but was not really the right reason, then she bought new boyfriends into the house every so often, they would stay with us and sleep in her room, but when they left for work I'd find her in my bed naked and initiating sex or already making use of the morning erection us guys have. Being the the other guy was a handy sexual release but it did not feel right and I left. Yes most guys would think a no strings attached sex relationship would be great but when you had or still have some feelings for your ex and they use you as a sex toy it just doesn't feel right for me and I needed to get out of there and move on. Unfortunately that was the end of my sex life but at least my self respect came back.

• Oh, dear. Well, that's definitely not going to happen with me... I'm in a much better relationship now, and I have absolutely no attraction left for him. Plus, like I said, I live so far away now that anything beyond a long-distance friendship isn't possible. I just feel bad that his attempt to stay friends ended so rudely on my part, and I actually really want to see if he's happier now than he was a year ago (he was pretty messed up while we were dating).