Don't feel like myself since the breakup. Pls help!

It has been almost 8 months since my ex left me, and aside from a couple of good days, a lot of the days I feel like my heart is broken and I barely feel like smiling. I really need some advice so I can feel like myself again. I used to feel happy from inside before all of this happenned.

My ex and I were friends, and he really chased me hard for weeks. I eventually gave him a chance, and after a few months, really started caring about him a lot. Close to a year, he just ended it. He said he was only 23, and could not handle the responsibility or commitment of a serious relationship right now. I had to see him everyday and work with him on school projects ever since. We also have a lot of mutual friends. He clearly loved me a lot for months after the breakup because he told me. Because I had to go through the breakup in front of him, I asked him way too many times to come back, and cried. So eventually, I ruined "us" because he got annoyed, and said that I made things too complicated, and he would never date me again :(

No other guy since the breakup has really had a crush on me. I have met no one interesting. I feel like my ex and I ruined something that people look hard to find. But because of the emotional breakup, we will never end up as happy as we used to be.He is very happy nowdays doing his own thing (or at least seems like it).

I can't handle the sunken feeling in my heart. I feel like I will never find another boy I had as much in common with and cared the way I did for him. How do I get over such a strong sad emotion? Do we ever have a chance? It has been 8 months, but I still feel so broken and sometimes sick to my stomach. Hanging out with our "mutual" friends doesn't help either. I feel like I need to cut everything related to him out of my life before I can heal. I guess school will be done in 2 months, after which I don't see him again.

Anyway, please help me through this heartbreak. Anyone else having a hard time forgetting an ex? Why? Thanks for you answers :)

02