Can you take off your work uniform if you're on break?

I work for lowes and they have me wear a vest. Can I take that off during my 15 minute break? I know I can't leave the property but I'd like to walk around the store without customers bugging me vs just sitting in the breakroom. I'm pretty sure I can. I just wanted to ask. It is a paid break btw.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Ah, yes, I'm familiar with this. I've been told to do it if I'll be in the vicinity of customers (e.g. buying a drink from a cashier on my 15).

0|0
    0|0
    • ok I see. I don't see a problem with it either. Besides there is a cute girl I want to talk to and I want to get over there and talk to her without being interrupted by a customer on the way over there.

• Show All
    • You work at lowes too? Or somewhere else?

• Hahaha that's a secret~! :X

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 10

• I would check, but if you are on a break you are on a break paid or not. That means not working and having it on would mean if you were going to buy a drink, walk outside, check on something you were looking at, etc you might be asked to help someone. So I say yes, but check to make sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • I know they pay us like slaves, but please don't start acting like one. Yes take that crap off!

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say ask your manager not people in GAG. It would suck to get wrong information and end up getting in trouble. I mean how would you explain that..."but the dude on GAG said it was ok!" lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Most likely you will be able to.

At my work, we wear shirts for our uniforms so taking them off would be really weird. But we take our breaks eating in the dining room so customers know not to bother us.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd take it off... That's what breaks are for - Paid or not. Plus it will do exactly what you want it to do - discourage customers from flocking to you :)...xX

0|0
    0|0
  • usually.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why wouldn't you just ask the manager or other employees?

1|0
    0|0
  • lol of course you, some jobs require that you do.

0|0
    0|0
  • The rule I follow is: if they're paying me for that time period, I do what they say. Most places pay their employees for their 15 minute breaks, so I'd keep it on.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're on break I'm sure you can take it off.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• I wouldn't. I am a stickler for proper etiquette, so I wouldn't take my uniform off until the job was officially over for the day. Can you really not afford to give up fifteen minutes of your life to help customers? Granted, it is your break time, so just take a rest in a quiet place. How would you turn customers down if they asked you for help and you told them you were on break?

0|0
    0|0
  • I unfortunately worked at Lowes. Yes you can take your vest off. They encourage it if you're buying something like a water from the cooler rather then the vending machine. I also took mine of before I clocked out for lunch or was going home for the same reason, I didn't want to get tied up helping a customer

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say yes. I worked at a place where this wasn't an option because we wore shirts as uniforms and not a vest. But certainly outside the store you should be able to take it off.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, you can do that. There's no law or company policy about those.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is a question you should ask your manager.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes