How to be supportive to unemployed boyfriend?

So my boyfriend of 3 months has been unemployed for a few weeks. He is getting really stressed and frustrated.

We are great and happy when we are together, but then as the days go by, he get in a bad mood, he's not getting any call backs, and his parents are not encouraging him...

I don't want to break up with him, I care about him, and love being with him..so I'm just wondering what I can do to support him, to where it doesn't seem annoying or do anything that will make him pull away..has anyone been in this situation?

65

Most Helpful Girl

• I have been in this situation myself and although things are slightly better (he's finding temporary work), to a point I still am. I do not speak about it to him unless he brings it up in conversation as I know he is also uncomfortable about the situation he is in . I am not with him because of his occupation, or lack of it , so just try and remain supportive and positive whenever he mentions it. His pride is hurt right now and there will be times where his frustration may be vented at you , as you are the closest person to him right now (especially if his parents are unsupportive). You know he is stressed and frustrated so let him know that you understand this and are there for him whenever he wants to talk about it. Just remember that his bad moods are nothing to do with you and if you are happy when you are together then focus on those times. This is hopefully a temporary situation and things will improve once he finds employment . He may be feeling very insecure because of this , but just reassure him that you will be there for him no matter what and you are not going to walk away or break up with him. He is unemployed through no fault of his own and just the current economic climate. He is actively seeking work and trying his best so there is nothing much else he can do . Try not to take his bad moods personally and hopefully things will improve soon.