It is OK to break-up with your boyfriend/girlfriend/partner via text if he/she.....?

So, we all know that breaking up with someone over text is cowardly, rude, hurtful and whatnot especially if it's a long serious relationship.

Sometimes there are exceptions to the rule. So, when do you think it's OK to break-up with your partner over text?

For example: Some think it's OK to break-up over text if your boyfriend/girlfriend cheated on you, while others think that he/she still deserves a face-to-face goodbye.

So, here is the question:

It is OK to break-up with your boyfriend/girlfriend/partner via text if he/she...? It can be anything.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 7

• It's disrespectful to break-up via text

Yet it's also disrespectful to cheat

..some say that two wrongs don't make one right but I disagree - mathematically when you subtract a negative value (double negative) you get a positive value in a result - see? Math doesn't lie!

1|0
    0|0
    • This question isn't about cheating. I was asking about when is it OK to breakup over text. Complete the sentence: It is OK to break-up with your boyfriend/girlfriend/partner via text if he/she...

• Yes, it is OK, basically in most of cases

• I think it is the right thing to do to break up in person. Sometimes cheating is accidental, so you want to be able to hear your significant other out. In most cases, however, cheating is not accidental, but for whatever reason, we must not be cowardly, and we must fact the significant other in person.

1|0
    0|0
  • As the MH says 'if you fear for your safety' then it's ok and this is more applicable to girls.

But personally I'd do it upfront on the face, always have and even when at the receiving end :)

1|0
    0|0
  • No, just no. The biggest problem with it is that it is just plain lazy. It's an easy way for people to go from one person to the next without feeling guilty.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how much value you give to your relationship and how much value you give to texting.

1|0
    0|1
  • ONLY if they are abusive in some way. This would be a VERY disrespectful way to break up with someone Sally. 5 stars girl

1|0
    0|0
  • yes if they are abusive and you don't want to see them.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• I think it's the most terrible way to break up with someone. I think it should only be done if the partner you're breaking up with deserves none of your respect, i.e. they're cheated/abusive/etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think breaking up via text is a crime. It should be done face to face or through the phone.

1|0
    0|0
  • A text break up should be illegal

1|0
    0|0
  • If the person is your FWB, you can do that. Or if he isn't taking the relationship seriously at all and only wants to see you if you're going to do something sexual.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't ever think it's "okay" to dump someone in a text. I've been dumped in a text before, UGH!

Even when someone cheated on me, I WANTED to say something to him face to face, haha! I guess I just think it's lame in general. I know most of us like to avoid confrontation, but come on! Haha!

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes