How long is too long?

What do I do?

I have been with my boyfriend now for 6 months, because I have been thinking about the whole love issue, I realized that I really do love him. So last night, I said the 3 magic words to him, knowing that he might not say it back, seeing as he did tell me that he never loved before, but I did have some hopes, as we function perfectly together...(hes 26, and he's longest relationship so far was 6 months) He didn't say it back, he told me that means a lot to him, and just held me. I got a tinsy bit pissed off, as its only human if someone rejects you, not blantantly but still... He told me that he cares a lot 4 me, and that he's never been so relaxed with a girl before, that he's never had that before in a relationship, not having no doubts. He also told me, that it would be dishonest of him to say it right back, just for the sake of it, and that if he said it first, he wouldn't at all expect me to say it, and wouldn't regard it is as honest. He said that I mean that much more to him because I feel that way about him, but he's just not there yet. I don't know what to think, I feel let down, like I'm hanging on the line now, waiting for him to say it, and I know the more I wait the more I'm going to pull away. I really do love him and am willing to wait, but how long is too long to be put out there on the line?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you just need to give it time. If in a year he still doesn't know, then yes I would get out of the relationship.

6 months isn't really long enough for a guy to be sure if he loves you or not. I dated a guy who didn't know he loved me, even after over 2 years of dating. You have to protect yourself. But I would set a timeline for when you are out of there if he hasn't figured it out. I wouldn't share this timeline with him, but keep it in your head. If the relationship is going well and you revisit this 6 more months down the road, hopefully he will be able to say he loves you.

If not, then I don't think it's right. Thinks be seem to be going well, but a relationship without love is not really a relationship at all.

It's unfair to you to stay in a loveless relationship. You have made it a priority for yourself to be loved, so find someone who can love you.

I hope that he does realize that you are special and that he does love you. Because I know far too well unfortunately, how bad it feels to ask a guy if he loves you, only to hear "I don't know" after over 2 years. It sucks big time and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

So I am urging you to be proactive in this. It's unfair for you to live without something you value, which you have made it clear you value being loved.

So set that as a priority, make a timeline in your head, revisit. If things aren't changing, and he's still unsure, then it's not meant to be. Let him go at that point.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE