Do drunk men tell the truth?

When I was 18 years old my long-time crush decided to court me. We became an item without anyone knowing because my parents did not allow me to date/have a boyfriend at that time. A few months later his dad got terminally ill and his dying wish was for him (my bf) to get back together with his exgf since they have a son. I broke up with him to honor his dads wish and we decided to just be friends.

The problem is, every time he's drunk he would call me and he would tell me how much he loves me and what plans he had for us. (We were no longer together when this happened) He got back with his ex girlfriend but he has never proposed marriage to her. (I know this for a fact) I still love him even though it's been 6 years since we broke up.

33

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know what he could be thinking, but here's the thing... This is YOUR happiness on the line! If you're in love with him, find out if this is the real deal. Just think how you might feel if you never know...

This isn't just advice, this is how I live my own life, and it works really well for me personally.

Just because his father wanted that... You guys are alive though. And that's so special, that you're alive at the same time... If it's the real thing, then you should go for it.

Ultimately, I think his dad would have wanted him to be happy. And even if not, then what kind of dad would he be to not want happiness for his son? And even if that were true, YOU want him to be happy, don't you? Because you obviously really care about him if you're sitting here thinking about it 6 years later.

It's hard enough being a dad to a baby, and being with the ex... that's just too much responsibility, a recipe for disaster...

Sometimes people have a really simplistic and not-sophisticated way of looking at love. But I think people have a right to figure out what's right for them.

I think I would ask him what he really means by that after he's sober and can give you a real answer.