Can a man love you and still choose his career over a future with you?

My boyfriend of one year and I just broke up today. I am 27 and this was my longest relationship. As you can imagine, I'm devastated. We initially dated for four months before I broke up with him because I felt he wasn't as serious as I felt we should be at that point, and after a month, we began talking again and I realized that he really did have strong feelings for me but his pride was hurt and he didn't want to look desperate about getting me back. Shortly after, we were back together and he told me he loved me. That day, he moved to another state for six months of training (border patrol), traveling back to see me every 2-3 weeks. He treated me like a princess and we talked about the future, including marriage, but when I asked him about what will happen to us when his training is over, he admitted that a couple of weeks ago he learned more about his future assignment and that for two years he will be moving pretty much nonstop. He said he couldn't give me what I want (typical, I know) but that he is still my best friend and wants to remain so. He said it would hurt if I dated someone else but that moving around with him isn't what's best for me. He said he wants me, yet he's chosen to follow this career path that will inevitably keep us apart, and keep him from ever settling down. I just lost my best friend, since I can't keep in touch with him for now because it hurts too much. Will he change his mind? Do you think that there may be hope for the future? Why would a man choose a career over being with the woman that "is the single most unique and wonderful person" and "will always have [his] heart"?

53

Most Helpful Girl

• I have had this happen to me and I am 27 too. My ex broke up with me because he was in school starting his doctorate and a mba...so he was getting too stressed out. He wanted to keep me happy, but I clearly wasn't from the lack of time he had for a relationship. It is def possible for a man to pick his career over woman he loves. My ex loved me a lot...i felt it. But, I have wasted the past 9 months crying over him. We've had a LOT of back and forth since then, and it has only let to more tears and heartbreak. It has not been easy I understand how much it sucks. Trust me, once you stop fighting it, and work on accepting it, you start slowly healing and feeling a lot better over the next few months. But, the first step is that you need to be strong and let it go. It doesn't matter if he comes back or not, because either way, your actions will be the same...which is to acept it as a final breakup, and let it go. The timing is wrong for you guys...there are other guys out there who will give you what you need. Good luck hun! :)

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE