Is it insulting to encourage your girlfriend (or ex) to enroll in college

I dated this girl for five months, she has all the intelligence in the world, she also has all the money in the world. We broke up because I made a statement that reflected my frustrations. I currently got accepted to medical school, I've been in college and currently work two paramedic jobs to make ends meet for myself. My statement was, hun, you have all the money in the world because of your mother, my dear, you are intelligent and super bright. Why don't you go to college rather than working at the strip bar. You are the most financially capable person to go to a college and still have a good quality of life. I thought I was encouraging her to actually do something that fits her more, she is very good at math and I thought maybe engineering or medicine, but she took it as I was insulting her and got super mad. Was I right or wrong to try and encourage her to go to school? I was not forcing her, but it is a waste to have such a smart person shake her ass for a living.

156

Most Helpful Guy

• I mean it's all about tone and wording. Frankly she doesn't have to strip she chooses to. You said her family is rich and she is well off because of her mother already, she's getting lots of money on top of that stripping. She's doing what she wants. I don't think you were wrong, maybe you're wording sounded condescending "hun, you have all the money in the world because of your mother, my dear" though the rest of the statement was fine and and accompanying that changes the context from condescending. It's been my experience that most people, especially women, hear what they want to here and once she heard the first part she stopped listening and got mad.

• I actually can agree with you on that one. No one really pointed this out. You are absolutley right, although it was meant in good faith, the first words out of my mouth destroyed the whole purpose of the convo.