What could be the reason my little sister has been so socially withdrawn?

I've been taking care of my little sister for a couple months, my parents are out of the country on a research project. They are gone most of the time. When I first started living back at home we hung out every day. We ate all our meals together, went on hikes and just chilled. We weren't that close before I went to college and moved out and it has been nice to unexpectedly get this close. The last month she has withdrawn from everything, so fast. It was like one day everything was fine and the next she didn't want to do anything. She rarely leaves her bedroom, won't tell me what's wrong, and isn't doing anything with friends like she used to. I've tried to figure it out but she won't tell me. Any ideas? She' s 15

60

Most Helpful Girl

• She is an adolescent, she is probably depressed because someone or a guy in particular probably hurt her maybe. Also it is the time to find "yourself" and who you trulyfit in with. 15 was actually my year that I was extremely distant with my mom and sister but then once I turned 16, I found who I truly was, hung out with peers my age and realized that I love to spend time with my mother and sister and it was all just a phase that mostly everyone goes through. It was just a new and unfamiliar stage for me to go through, it was both exciting and awkward. I think you should talk to her, but not in a sit-down talk kind of way, be very casual and ask her what's really goiing on, find a place where she would most likely feel comfortable to speak out. If she is not doing anything with her friends or does not go out like she normally does, it truly sounds like she is depressed. I know how depression feels like and the first and last time I have experienced it was at 15, coincidence? I did not want to go out, talk to anyone but my close friends and I despised hanging around with my family at the duration of 4 months. She is a teenager, its seems pretty normal but its not healthy for her to go through. If she does not want to tell you, don't bother her about it, just simply say "i am totally here if you need me for anything sis" when she wants to speak, she will speak. And think about the amounts of pressure that might be going on in school. She will come out of her shell eventually :) hope this helps and tell me how it goes!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE