Need to move out of the U.S. to feel safe?!

As most know, there has been a lot of gun violence around the country, especially in our schools. The tragedy in Newtown, CT was just terrible, and just yesterday a student bought a gun to my former high school. Luckily no one was hurt and they were able to put the student in custody before anything happened, but it was still a scary thought.

I remember when I was younger, my parents used to tell me that school was the safest place! And I guess it was true at the time, but not anymore.

I do want to have kids someday and I'm starting to wonder if I would feel safe sending those kids to school in the U.S. with everything going on.

I was wondering if others felt the same way? Or if anyone who lives in another country would have insight about what it's like there?

I'm just interested to see how other people feel!

Side note: I had the opportunity to study abroad in the Netherlands during my college career, and I LOVED it. I was even there during the world cup a couple of years ago and there was never one time where I felt unsafe. Even when I was surrounded by 200,000 other crazy soccer fans in one area. And another thing I remembered is that most cops didn't even CARRY guns!

• I would consider living abroad
  • Other countries aren't much better

920

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not voting because I believe that you can feel safer in other countries but they may also have negatives that would impact your life in non-violent ways

I totally hear you about being nervous about having kids. For me though I'm nervous in so many ways including but not exclusive to gun violence. Bullying seems to be a larger and more serious and dangerous problem. We live in a world where children are forced to grow up and deal with increasingly more and more mature issues than when I was a child. So you have many things to be concerned about and then you factor in gun violence and you just almost feel like do you want kids in this world.

I know there are safer places to live. I've lived in Thailand and Italy and both have very strict gun laws and children literally could walk miles to school and there was never a fear of violence, abduction etc. However at the same time I still feel that America offers one of the better educations and better opportunities so you kind of have to just make a decision.

Safety vs potentially better education/options/opportunities.

Also just consider that perhaps with what looks like new gun laws that the landscape may change significantly. Hopefully our country can use the recent violent activities to start on a path towards a safer environment. Often it takes a big event like Newtown to really spur action

• Well the education depends on where you move. Yes there is worse education in Italy and Thailand than US, but there are many places where it's better and cheaper. BUT then there are the other problems like the anon user stated (language for example)

• Better education makes language issues not so much an issue. Especially since many in those nations do speak English as well.

• I agree. I think to larger point I was making is that there are issues in every country. Many people still see America as the best land of opportunity so you kind of have to make the decision of what you want most, what is less important.

I wouldn't make a decision to move SOLELY on the current school gun violence issues.