Do guys have a 'guy code' like girls have 'girl code'?

Yeah there is 'girl code', e.g. can't date your friends ex, ect. But I've always wondered do guys even care or have these limitations on entering relationships? If there is a 'guy code' what are the general rules then?

I personally think to have these rules is not something to abide with like a law or something, but some generally do make ethical sense in just courtesy and such.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• We have guy codes. Sample guy codes:

Stay away from your friend's girlfriend.

If you're trying to get with someone, we'll keep our distance.

Put in a good word when she asks about you.

3|3
    0|1
    • So what if the guy in questions doesn't know the (ex)boyfriend personally? Would you still flirt with her (like winking during an exam, make eyecontact) if she does the same? Would it give you a negative impression?

• If he's not my boy, then it doesn't matter, because I'm not obligated to stick up for him.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• Do we care about hurting our friends by dating their exs? What are we, immoral? That's not guy code, or girl code, that's morality code, EVERYONE should have that.

But sometimes guys will throw around "guy code" as a joke to certain things, sometimes somewhat serious. These are things such as giving your girl massive slack during her PMS.

0|0
    1|0
    • I wasn't using the example to say guys were immoral, I just said it giving some random 'girl code' rule as an example not really to say guys don't follow that particular rule, it was the first thing that came to my head

• That's what I'm saying, I made a joke asking if we are immoral. But everyone should follow that rule, it's not gender specific, it's just being a friend to your friends. Any friend that dates my ex is not a friend anymore of mine.

• I didn't even know there is a "girl code". There is kind of a "guy code", which are mostly basically morals everyone should be following anyway. Only written "guy code" I know of his Barney Stinson's Bro Code. Not all of the rules are fine, but it's really funny though link

0|0
    0|2
  • That depends. I think it is okay to date friends. After all, you know friends better than you know acquaintances.

I don't know about some guy code, but I'm after good morals, such as honesty, respect, and trust. I would hope that my future girlfriend has these too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I want to talk about the etc. can we hear about the etc? :p

1|0
    0|0
    • every other rule a girl like to impress upon every woman she finds a threat or intimidating. (:

• Well, there are sorts of codes, but they aren't anything like that. They're based more on sportsmanlike sense of fair play. And most guys would have no objection to a friend dating their ex. When you think about it, why should they?

0|0
    0|0
  • The guy code is so freaking advanced, it's unspoken. We all just kinda... know it. Just the basic no-no's like bros before hoes, don't stand next to anyone at a urinal, stupid crap like that. But when it comes to the ladies, lets just say: just cause there's a goalie don't mean you can't score.

0|0
    0|0
  • first rule of guy code is you can't tell women about guy code lol

3|2
    0|1
  • Yes guys absolutely do, and imo guys uphold their "honor code" more than girls uphold the female "honor code".

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but it's called a 'Bro Code'.... Google has all your answers

0|0
    0|0
  • Hope so

0|0
    0|0
  • yes

0|0
    0|0
  • We have the bro code, dear.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't agree with them either but yes we do have a guy code. It's pretty much the same as yours

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 8

• I am known to break girl code, hahaha. Personally, I feel like if you go a period of time without your friend ever making a move on the guy, then he's fair game. That's referring to if I like a guy who my friend also likes.

If I like a friend's ex, I usually only stay away from that if it was a recent breakup or if it was a messy breakup.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't abide any of those rules, unless its plaits with just being a moral thing. I don't think its nice to do some things but I won't follow the made up rules of jealous manipulative girls because they said so.

• link

Bro code.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they do.

I don't know it though cause I'm no dude.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, it has nearly the same contents except guys don't break it as often as girls do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I've seen a guy code book around and then I noticed that there are two new shows on MTV called Guy Code and the other one is Girl Code.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lmao neither exist anymore

1|0
    0|0
  • There's a girl code? (Aside from the "I'll stab any girl in the back to get a week closer to the goal of being married within my child-bearing years"?) Interesting.

There definitely is a guy code, however I've seen guys ditch the code for certain types of girls. It's the Siren Syndrome...

0|0
    0|0
  • The guy code was around before the "girl" code which is pretty much an imitation of the bro code so that girls feel special...

0|2
    1|0

Recommended myTakes