How do I break up with my boyfriend without losing our friendship?

I've been dating my best friend for about a month now, and I'm really starting to regret it. It's nothing that he's done wrong, but I feel like I can't be happy with him, but I don't want to lose our friendship. What do I do?!

Most Helpful Guy

• Tell him the truth.

Say, you value your friendship with him to much to be in a relationship with him right now OR you need some time to think if dating him is what you really want.

If he is your friend he will understand and be cool with it.

If he isn't cool with it, then he was using you

This is where you find out if he values your friendship with you, as much as you value it with him.

Trust me, if you stay with him, and he finds out later that you aren't happy, he will be mad or heartbroken.

Honesty and space are your best allies when it comes to dating or friendships.

What Guys Said 1

• Say goodbye.

More than likely it won't work.

What Girls Said 1

• I hate to burst your bubble, but you likely will lose the friendship. I was best friends with my ex since I was 11 years old. We dated, and during that time considered ourselves BOTH best friends and boyfriend/girlfriend. When we broke up, despite over 10 years of being best friends and almost half that time also spent as boyfriend/girlfriend, none of it mattered. Dating had changed the relationship, even though no one did anything wrong and there was no conflict. So even though we did not end on bad terms, he couldn't handle even speaking to me because he continued to want more. If being best friends for 10 years is not enough to keep a friendship after a break up, nothing will be enough. Totally impossible.