If he likes me back, why does he avoid me?

l've liked this one guy since this past December and he found out almost three months ago. (I seriously have no idea who even told him..) Once he found out, he stared paying so much more attention to me.. and was showing so many signs that he liked me back. He would stare at me, playfully tease me, and try to make me laugh. He even told my best friend that he liked me but he wanted to get to know me first. But for exactly a month now, we've been completely avoiding/ignoring each other. I got no warning, he just completely cut me off, and me being an extremely shy person, I ignore him back. Its made me completely miserable for weeks now and I can't get him out of my head. We have two classes together so I see him everyday yet we still say nothing to each other, its driving me crazy! Just two days ago he went up to my friends after school asking where I was. And the next day he still didn't say anything to me. Why is he Ignoring me?

(I just need some advice! I'm so shy, I'm trying to build up the confidence to say something to him.)

11