Is it possible he wants us back together but doesn't know how to say it?

My boyfriend and I broke up.I was in tears and then quickly got over it.I understand he broke up with me but he started showing signs like he wanted me back,calling me like he used to,coming over to my place ,stuff like that.so I was confused and I confronted him about it.whether it was just pity he's having on me or he really wants me back.he said 'not now'.we are friends.Then he keeps calling me,I don't call him and he says stuff like why haven't I called him.blah blah.he wants me to think he's dating someone else by putting different pics of gals on his whatsapp but what he doesn't know is I know who those girls are.he feels bad anytime he hurts me and apologizes.what exactly does he want?

I told him I wanted to go outside the country for holidays and he said 'there are a lot of nice guys there for me ..n I kept saying thas not my aim but he kept repeating it.I don't get him.does he still love me or not because he made me belive he didn't hence our break up.now this?he's bothered when I don't call him and asks why?he tells his mum he's 'dating' and his mum calls me and tells me to fight for him.he still cares about me.what's all this?he sends me msgs at dawn.HELP PLS

02