Girls, why do you not make the first move?

It seems that almost all girls hardly ever, or never, make the first move. Why?

People say tradition, but that seems more like a lame excuse. Surely girls most of you have WANTED sometimes to make the first move on a guy. What's REALLY stopped you? Do you not regret the missed opportunities?

Obviously by 'make the first move', I don't mean being friendly/nice and hoping the guy notices you and makes the first move. I mean doing something that makes it CLEAR you're sexually/interested in him.
*sexually/romantically interested in him
Interesting responses so far. Keep 'em coming.

IMO, the idea that if a guy is interested he will definitely make the first move, assumes that all three of the following are true:

1. the guy has unlimited time;

2. the guy already knows enough about you to think it worth his time/energy to approach you (different guys have different preferences, so obviously what will be 'enough' to one guy won't be 'enough' to another);

3. the guy is confident enough to approach any girl he's interested.
As for me, I would say I'm confident enough to approach any girl, the exception being a girl who looks like she's hanging out with a boyfriend (obviously, if I KNEW he was her boyfriend, I definitely wouldn't approach, but that's not a confidence issue).

147

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on how you define "the first move". Is it making prolonged eye contact? A smile? A simple hi? Or something to start an entire conversation?

If it's all of the above, then I've done all of them. If I want something (or in this case, someone) I go get it. I see no reason for me to sit on my butt and expect everything to come to me. What if the guy won't notice me unless I say hi? And what if, once I've said hi, he immediately gets interested and thinks "wow, how come I haven't seen her here before". So the whole "if he's interested in me, he'll make a move" thing is bullsh*t. What if he hasn't noticed you? Or what if he's too shy for his own good? Then what? You're going to pass up an opportunity to get to know a possibly great guy? Nuh-uh, not me at least. I've chosen to sit back and do nothing so many times in my life, and not just when not wanting to make the first move, and it has always turned out to be a dumb decision. But, that's just me, so I can't speak for all girls.

Also, I don't think "tradition" is a lame excuse. If the girl has been brought up thinking that the man should be the one to initiate everything first, you can't exactly blame her. That's just what she believes, and I'm fairly positive that there are guys out there as well who believe that the guy should be the one making the first move. There's really nothing wrong with that. The only thing that can go wrong with a girl not wanting to make the first move, is if she acts all spoiled about it too. For example, she starts whining when only the "wrong" guys approach her, or even whines that NOBODY approaches her. That's the only problem I might have with girls not wanting to do anything.

And then we have the basics: fear of rejection, shyness, insecurities, bad previous experiences etc. The same things spinning around in a guy's head when he's contemplating whether to ask a girl out or not. But let me just tell you, there ARE a lot of girls and women out there who are ready to make the first move if needed. So there's no need to act like there are none, or only a rare few. You just haven't found them, yet.

• That's a pretty comprehensive answer, thanks. I guess what counts as the first move would depend on the situation. Approaching a stranger in a bar and starting a flirty conversation would count in my book. But if it's a work/school situation, I'd think you'd pretty much have to grope/kiss or ask them out, LOL, for it to count. I don't think many girls are told these days that the man should always initiate. My sister was never told (certainly not by my liberal parents) but she still holds that

• As for being too shy to approach or make a move, sadly there are guys like that. For some reason, a lot of my brother's friends are like that. They are all in their 20's, virgins (not that that's a bad thing of course, but still), and they are all simply very very bad at talking to girls. They chicken out just about every time they're supposed to make a move. My brother likes to joke about this, since he himself is quite the social butterfly. So it depends a lot on who you hang out with.

• Interesting. Wow. I don't know any guy like that LOL. As I say even the shiest guys I know do make a move.