What's a good way to break the ice and show interest in a girl you just met?

I'm talking about random girls I run into throughout my day. Like for example I was at cicis the other night and the girl ringing me up at the register was fairly cute. So what are some things I could do to show her I'm interested? Just start with a compliment? Then what? I always notice girls throughout the day but I never seem to be able to approach them cause it's hard for me to show them I'm interested and would like to get them on a date.

11