How/How often/When do I talk to my reclusive ex-boyfriend after the breakup?

My ex-boyfriend and I broke up about a month and a half ago. I see him every day, without fail, due to some classes we have together. I admit that occasionally I still text him (and occasionally when I'm upset, so who knows what I've said). He really doesn't have many friends and before we broke up I was the one person he told everything to. I'm concerned about him, I miss us, and I constantly have the urge to contact him. Some days when I see him in person he's very playful and sometimes he even flirts with me, but other days he'll be very standoffish and quite rude really. We're not on the best of terms but I just want to know what you would want me to do if you were him. Should I text him occasionally to make sure he's doing alright, or is that weird? I just don't know, but what I do know is that I really want to be able to be there for him as much as possible.

11