How often do people actually get back together?

This is for both sexes, but I guess I'm more interested in hearing a female perspective about why people get back together and how rare it is. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to dating, only had one true girlfriend but it was a significant relationship that lasted almost 2 years. I was the one who ended things, for bullsh*t reasons in hindsight, but I don't know I was in a weird spot mentally at the time. Anyway, we're still friends, hangout and talk and such, but I still have very strong feelings for her and hope to get back together. I'm just wondering how realistic it is for two people who loved each other and had a great relationship to get back together? And what are some reasons for not getting back together, particularly if it was the best relationship you've ever had?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I really hope it is realistic as I am in the same boat! I feel like it was true love... and I am pretty sure he felt the same... its just there are other factors like I am still trying to figure myself out and what career and life path I want... sometimes I just really like to be alone and to distance myself and this hurts relationships... I don't know if this side of me will ever change but anyways if were meant to be were meant to be, I figure I will meet him later in life and we will either get back together or realize we have grown apart... but I am not going to stress about it or try to start things up at this time... I guess I will know when the right time is... I still feel really young... I just turned 21... literally an hour ago ha ha May 5 is my birthday:)

0|0
    0|0
    • he was defiantly the best I had. I have basically decided not to date again til I figure my life out and actually dating another guy would feel like cheating... I just feel like we are soul mates.. like I belong to him and I am just not interested in anyone else... I never thought I was feel so strongly for a guy... I really think its love and I don't want to give up on him.. but for now I am ignoring him :/ I am just not completely happy with my life at the moment...

• Show All
    • But having a strong connection is just one half of having a successful relationship the other side is the self discipline side... I want to see a future with him but we are still growing up and he does somethings that worry me likes he likes to party a lot but maybe he will grow out of it... its just really hard to have these feeling when your young, people change so much... I would at least like to be in contact with him and be friends.. but it just seems like it would be too painful..

• It can be very painful to remain friends; its why I've kept my distance from my ex, even as a friend. Because every time we're alone I want to tell her how much I love her, how much I care for her, how I'd do anything to have her back. Problem is she can sense it, which makes me come across as desperate. I hate it but love makes you can make you crazy stupid. But even though it pains me to be just friends, and we may not ever get back together, I have to hope we can someday because I love her.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• I don't think it's rare.

The moment you break up, you may be filled with rage about the whole thing but you eventually miss them. You then want them back and apologize and if it's not a huge thing that you fought over, then you usually get back together.

If you break up once, you most likely will break up again and for good. If your relationship was good enough, you'd never break up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where I am from it happens a lot but on most occasions only if the girl wants the guy back. If the guy left her and came back to her she will. In the other case if the guy dumped her and she wants him back and tries to rekindle the old love it rarely ever happens

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally wouldn't get back with an ex. I finished all but one of my relationships. Not that I have had a lot, but there was only one who finished with me but we were both way too young. I wouldn't get back with an ex or I wouldn't of finished in the first place. But that's just me!

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how she feels about you. if she has moved on. If you want things back and she is still in love with you. may be you have a good chance. But if she has moved on , chances are slim. Unless something goes wrong and she realizes what she lost. In my case I want my ex back and he doesn't. I tried for 4 months but didn't help. And I can't do anything until he wants me back. So you never know,

0|0
    0|0
  • i think there is always a possibility to get back together. doors never really close.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know I mean, I've honestly never in my life heard of a happy and healthy relationship that started after being broken up for any length of time.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• One word: Don't get back with her. Even if you do get back again, the relationship will not be the same again.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes