How often do people actually get back together?

This is for both sexes, but I guess I'm more interested in hearing a female perspective about why people get back together and how rare it is. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to dating, only had one true girlfriend but it was a significant relationship that lasted almost 2 years. I was the one who ended things, for bullsh*t reasons in hindsight, but I don't know I was in a weird spot mentally at the time. Anyway, we're still friends, hangout and talk and such, but I still have very strong feelings for her and hope to get back together. I'm just wondering how realistic it is for two people who loved each other and had a great relationship to get back together? And what are some reasons for not getting back together, particularly if it was the best relationship you've ever had?

71

Most Helpful Girl

• I really hope it is realistic as I am in the same boat! I feel like it was true love... and I am pretty sure he felt the same... its just there are other factors like I am still trying to figure myself out and what career and life path I want... sometimes I just really like to be alone and to distance myself and this hurts relationships... I don't know if this side of me will ever change but anyways if were meant to be were meant to be, I figure I will meet him later in life and we will either get back together or realize we have grown apart... but I am not going to stress about it or try to start things up at this time... I guess I will know when the right time is... I still feel really young... I just turned 21... literally an hour ago ha ha May 5 is my birthday:)

• he was defiantly the best I had. I have basically decided not to date again til I figure my life out and actually dating another guy would feel like cheating... I just feel like we are soul mates.. like I belong to him and I am just not interested in anyone else... I never thought I was feel so strongly for a guy... I really think its love and I don't want to give up on him.. but for now I am ignoring him :/ I am just not completely happy with my life at the moment...

• But having a strong connection is just one half of having a successful relationship the other side is the self discipline side... I want to see a future with him but we are still growing up and he does somethings that worry me likes he likes to party a lot but maybe he will grow out of it... its just really hard to have these feeling when your young, people change so much... I would at least like to be in contact with him and be friends.. but it just seems like it would be too painful..

• It can be very painful to remain friends; its why I've kept my distance from my ex, even as a friend. Because every time we're alone I want to tell her how much I love her, how much I care for her, how I'd do anything to have her back. Problem is she can sense it, which makes me come across as desperate. I hate it but love makes you can make you crazy stupid. But even though it pains me to be just friends, and we may not ever get back together, I have to hope we can someday because I love her.