How would you break up with your boy/girlfriend?

I've been thinking about it for quite a while now and I came to the decision that I want to break up with my boyfriend. There are a lot of things that bother me about the way he is. I don't know why but I was never able to tell him straightforward what I think. Unfortunately, my decision is being made and I want to do it. He bought a house and we are supposed to move in together this July. We made many plans for the future together and I know I will be hard breaking up with him. He's a nice person but he's not for me.

Here's my problem: how do I break up? In what context? Should I just tell him straight in the face or do it in some other way? I don't even know I will come up with all of this.

He's on vacation now and coming back in 10 days. I want to do it as soon as possible...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

12

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly I would wait until he gets back from his vacation.. that way at least he'll enjoy the rest of it because when he finds out about this he is going to be devastated. I hope you know for a fact that this is what you want because if you break up with him and realize you made a mistake he could be gone forever. Personally I think you should just talk to him and let him know what is bothering you. Maybe he can change and things will be better than ever.. If you have no hope in fixing things and you just want to move on then I guess you're doing the right thing by not leading him on anymore.

Having said all that.. I just recently went through a breakup myself I can give you a lot of advice on how to do it right. First things first, you need to do it in person. Any other way is going to give him the impression that you don't respect him enough to do it in person and make the situation even worse. Also, be kind when you break up with him. He wanted to move in together and share his life with you. The least you can do is show him respect. Explain how you feel and let him know that you just don't feel as strongly about things as you think you should. Tell him that he didn't do anything wrong, and that he shouldn't take it personal. SOMETIMES TWO PEOPLE TRY AND THEY JUST DON'T WORK TOGETHER. Tell him that he deserves someone who is going to love him for exactly who he is and you deserve to be completely in love.

I'm not sure if you've ever been broken up with but let me tell you.. break ups are extremely difficult to handle. Don't take this lightly. Just explain to him that you wished it would have worked but for whatever reason it just doens't feel right and you think you both should move on. I wish you the best of luck and I feel sorry for him. It would be wrong to lead him on any further so if you really don't see it going anywhere then its best to just do it and get it over with. Good luck and please show him respect during this difficult time