What's more painful after a break up (assuming the break was as mutual as a breakup can get)?

I've just recently been able to say I experienced both and wanted to know what you guys think.

Which choice will make you personally feel more pain concerning the breakup and loosing an EX you loved?
  • EX cannot keep in touch with you because he/she hurts too much to be casually friendly
  • EX who casually keeps in contact in a friendly manner as if you guys are just friends after the break
  • See answer
    Vote C
  • I've never experienced a breakup
    Vote D
I'm really surprised with the result! I strongly feel that choice (B) would hurt wayyy more because if someone could really casually keep in contact as just friend after dating, they probably never cared that much!

You see, their feelings probably never ran deep enough to really distinguish between 'dating/relationship' vs 'just friends'

For those who chose (A) please explain why...

45

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never really experienced a friendship after a relationship but it's usually the best option. My ex offered to be friends like a month ago actually (we broke up like 7 months ago) and I questioned it and didn't really give an answer. If we were friends then we would probably have to talk to regularly which would not go down well with my mum or boyfriend. Then it opens the door for him to flirt or start to control me again, slowly trying to seep in emotionally and detach me from my boyfriend and then get me around his little finger again. My ex was abusive, psycho, controlling, manipulative, lying etc so that is something he would try to do as I believe he still loves me. So I think talking to him could potentially be damaging as well as not talking because I think we all know how painful it is when you're always looking at your phone hoping for a message that will never come. It's pretty painful. But I see how painful it can be talking to an ex like nothing ever happened but you would only feel that pain if you still loved them so this pain would not affect you if you had moved on.

I think they're both equally painful depending on varying situations tbh.