When Is A Relationship No Longer Considered a Rebound?

A pretty good friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend a year ago. They were together for 5 years. 2 months after dating, she entered into a new relationship and has been with that guy ever since (coming up on almost a year now). My friend has been seeing (on and off) a girl for about 6 months (who happens to also be a very good friend of mine). I feel like I'm the "go-to" person to unleash their feelings, and I'm slightly confused. I know that solid relationships can form after rebounds, it's rare, but it does happen.

So how long until you consider a new relationship no longer a rebound? My friend is still devastated that his ex broke up with him after 5 years and can't seem to move on. I'm trying my hardest to help him (I know he has to "do it himself", but after a year of trying to do it alone, he obviously can't get over it). Any tips?

02