Living with parents, is it a deal breaker?

So, I recently split with my girlfriend (not entirely true, she dumped me). We'd been living together, sharing an apartment for the last three years, and she'd apparently been having issues with our relationship that she was trying to work out on her own instead of talking to me about them, and it all ultimately came to a head and that was it.

Anyway, I moved out and left her the apartment, she'll either have to get a roommate or break lease (it was in her name) and move in with someone else. I'm currently crashing on my parent's couch.

Well, my parents are fine with me being there as long as I need to be, and it's been discussed that I could potentially be there for a year or longer if I needed to. I was putting money away to buy a house with, and I'm still planning on moving forward to that goal, with or without my ex. On my own, being with my parents, I can easily bank a grand a month after all my other bills (my job doesn't completely suck). I figure, inside of a year, I can have plenty saved up for a down payment, fixing the place up, and buying any furniture that I might need.

My concern is in the meantime, I'd like to start dating again, probably nothing incredibly serious, just meeting new people and having fun, putting myself back out there... but I am, at heart, a relationship guy, and if I meet someone I'm really into, I'm probably going to want to start something.

So, assuming a guy has a good, stable job and goals for future homeownership, how big of a turn-off do you think that is in the current dating scene? I'm 33 and would probably be looking to date someone no younger than 25, if that matters at all.

43

Most Helpful Guy

• Not these days! A lot of people have to live with parents to save money to start out on their own.

Gone are the days when everyone just assumed you could have everything you want, on your own, without help.