It's been a year, why am I still caught up?

So here goes. It's been a year since my ex husband left me for the last time. He left me eight times in our four month long marriage. He was very emotionally abusive that started to spill over into physical altercations. I went through all the legal headache of getting a restraining order and the divorce which was finalized in October. Why am I still upset and feeling horrible over it when it's over and time to move on?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, a failed marriage is a downer no matter what the reason is for it ending. You had hopes and dreams, and probably feel very disappointed that the person you loved would hurt you, and a promise that was made was broken. That's entirely normal, and an abusive relationship can be scarring. You may also feel a lot of fear and anxiety because of the way he treated you. The important thing to remember is: You are not alone! there are many other women who have gone through the same exact situation, who have come out of it just fine. Do not let this situation define you, because the abuse and disappointment you encountered is not who you are, nor does it have any power in what you choose to do in your life from here on out. Not all men are like him, he was just one bad seed, and that's okay! we all encounter men like that at some point in our lives, weather it be in passing, in a friendship, or in a romance. All can be hurtful to us, but remember that it is THEIR problem, not OURS!

• Also, I want to clarify that there are women who can be just as hurtful, not just men. If any man has been through an abusive relationship, It applies to you as well!