If you loved somone and had a child with them would you move away with them for work?

My boyfriend just got a job offer but the thing is I'm in a city that I have grown up in my whole life and 99% of my family is within 20 min driving distance, This job offer would take us any where from and hour too an hour and a half away from our family's, and we won't really know many people there. I don't really drive ( I'm re-learning and have to have him with me at all times).

We have a 4 month old baby together and this job could make it so I can stay home with her for longer BUT he may be working longer hours and may not always be home at night. Should I encourage him to take the job and we move or should I stay where I am?
  • Move away
  • Stay put

24

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh, stay where you are.

I'm sure your kid in fifteen years will be like, "Mom, I'm so glad you told Dad to move away and decided living around your family was more important, because who likes having two parents or a normal family, anyway? It was totally worth it to be around my cousins, etc, instead of you moving and being a stay at home mom and having our own family."

Oh, wait... no, she won't. You can drive the 90 minutes every week to go visit your parents/brothers/etc, and make new friends in your town and have a real family with your boyfriend, or you can take the easy comfortable route, never mind that your daughter will grow up with issues about men, since she didn't have a real father around. (Backed up by about a million studies about kids...)

• First off all I didn't say I would tell him to go and I would stay here, second of all I was raised by a single mother and I turned out perfectly fine... those million studies about kids are not about 100% of kids who grew up without their father around, I don't have issues with men, and the trip to go see my family would end up being more like 3 hours on either a greyhound or on city bus's. I still had a "normal family" so before you judge think that not all families have 2 parents anymore.

• Best answer. And get a drivers license.

• I have a licence I just don't drive much lately and I have someone 25 or older with a full licence with me at all times while driving