Breaking Up With Someone You Love Because Of Distance

I have been with my boyfriend for about three months. From the time we met, we knew that he was graduating from college and that I would be spending the summer abroad. Because time was limited, it started out casual but turned into something much more serious. I never would have predicted I could fall for someone so fast.

When we began dating, we planned to take a break and then get back together, depending on if he stayed in state for a job. However, he recently told me that he will most likely be moving out of state. I understand and support his decision because it has been a long time dream of his. Neither of us wants to do a LDR because I have one year of college left and despite how strongly we feel about each other, we haven't been together all that long.

I'm leaving in two weeks and am not sure what to do. I want to continue to see each other until I leave but we have both wondered if that would just make it harder. I think he feels this way more than I do, even though as of now we are still seeing each other. I really love him and have no idea of what to do at this point.

Has anyone ever been in this situation or experienced something similar? Any advice?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If you really care about someone enough you should try and make it work. LDR are stressful but not permanate. And if you both have developed feelings for one another and are committed to just the two of you you do not want to just give that up because of location. People move, and peoples lives change but a feeling you have for one another is going to always be there if you truly love the person.

I have been in a LDR the past two years and I have planned for years now to meet my girfriend. I learned last week that her job is going to prevent her from speaking to me often, but I trust her and want her to know I am gonna be there for her and not leave when things get tough.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• Yes' I've been in that kind of situation before. I really broken up with her because it really doesn't work out well when it comes to LDR. I resort to seeking another girl who's nearer to me.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Been there done that. Never worked out so I gave up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hi there. I am experiencing something similar, too.

This guy told me he likes me. unfortunately, he was leaving soon because he really planned to study abroad. He asked me if it's okay that we meet again when he's back here permanently, and I said yes. At first, I thought this really isn't gonna work. It's been a year now since he left and we still keep in touch. Whenever he's here for his break, he would always tell me and we would meet up too, if time and schedule permitting. I won't say our relationship is the best, since we're not official yet, but we sure are taking things slowly. LDR is hard, you can't spend time as much as you wanted, but I think it's gonna be worth it with the right person. Both of you has to agree with it though, that you want to make it work.

0|0
    0|0
  • I expirienced something similar. I met a guy on his exchange year in school and he was going to leave in three months, he kept the distance as much as he could though we still fell for each other, never started dating, and that huuuurts, cause I didn't even get to say stuff like I love you and if you want to try LDR. But it was a smart thing to do in the end, ldr suck and you are going to be fine after a while, since both of you are going to be hurt you can talk about it over phone and help each other a bit, we did skyping so many times, sometimes phonesex if we were not getting any for a while, so it worked out good for us. Though I still miss him and still have feelings for him.

Just talk about it a lot and figure out what's best for both of you and be very suportive and just stay in touch after a break up.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes