Should I send a letter to my ex?

I'm considering sending a letter to my ex. We broke up 2 months ago after being together for 5 years.

I was very upset when he ended things, but now I'm quite okay about it and have realized that I have also needed some time for my self. That's what I want to tell him in the letter. I want to apologize for making it so difficult for him, when he broke up and tell him that I don't blame him for anything or hold a grudge. I want to tell him what I think went wrong between us and admit the mistakes that I have made. I kind of lost my self in our relationship and wasn't really happy for a long time. That's part of the reason why I think I need this time apart from him plus we also need to grow on our own outside of our relationship.

Do you think it's a terrible idea for me to send this letter? I don't expect anything from sending it, but I just want to clear the air and maybe make him feel less guilty and share some of my thoughts with him. But I don't want to make my chances of getting back together with him somewhere down the line worse by sending him this letter.

I'm the type of girl who likes to send letters and also sent letters to the two flings I had before I met my ex. He knows that, and might be wondering why I haven't written one to him.

It should also be said that my ex started seeing someone new 3-4 weeks after our break-up, but he has told me that they are not a couple (yet). But I don't know if it will seem desperate/weird of me to send him a letter when he is with someone new and has made it clear he doesn't want any contact with me (at least not for now)?

73

Most Helpful Girl

• From my experience, guys usually mean what they say. So it would be a bad idea to send him this letter now since he said he doesn't want contact.

How long since he told you he doesn't want you to contact him, though? I'd suggest waiting 2 months at the very least before attempting to communicate with him.

If he hasn't contacted you by the end of that you can send the letter--as long as you're sure you aren't expecting anything good to come from it. Be sure you're prepared to handle whatever disappointments you may have to face. I think it's important to make it clear to him that you're not expecting anything to happen, and that you just wanted to explain your thoughts and feelings to him. Otherwise he might feel pressured, and that won't make things better.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Also, if he doesn't respond to your letter, don't communicate with him again. It may mean he's not ready to talk to you yet. Wait for him to contact you.

• He told me about 3 weeks after we broke up, so more than a month ago. Since then we have only had contact regarding bills and mail (we lived together). I've met him 2 times randomly, but he made it clear he didn't want to talk to me then either. Last time I saw him was 2 weeks ago and I asked if he wanted for us to stay in touch and become friends (he's been unclear about this since we broke up). He said we have to wait and see, but that he thinks it might be too awkward.

• But thanks for your advice. I think it's a good idea to wait for a while if I decide to send it and to be prepared for "the worst" and also to explain that I don't expect anything from him.