Should I take orthodontic surgery to move my jaws?

It might cost a lot if take the surgery but there is no choice because my country(I'm not sure) doesn't offer any stuff that can fix underbite without surgery

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it depends on how severe the underbite is and if your teeth grind or don't shut properly. If it's not severe it's not a big deal except maybe for appearance. If it's more severe you could have problems the rest of your life. It's a lot easier to fix when you are young. If you can afford it I'd say discuss all the options with your dentist or oral surgeon. If surgery is the only option I'd say go for it. If you don't get them fixed now you might regret it 20 years from now if your teeth end up being ground down to points and you have all kind of cavities due to overcrowding.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• If you've got jaw pain from it, take care of it.

A maxillofacial surgeon might say orthodontics could work.

Check out this forum. link

It depends on how severe it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure of the side effects of surgery. Try less invasive treatment fist. It would be worth it to travel to India or Australia where non surgical orthodontia is more devloped, and cnsult with someone there who has good credentials, before resigning yourself to this drastic and, to my knowledge, not proven surgery.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im no doctor but I'm quite sure your "jaws" (even though there's only one) are quite vital to, you know, that little thing we do called eating to survive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well in the US I have forces and it is fixing my bite dramatically I think it is a new treatment talk to your doctor about it and see what there is surgery should be a last option.

0|0
    0|0
  • unless it;s a serious disfigurement, I'm not a fan of cosmetic surgery, so I would say no.

0|0
    0|0
  • You won't have a jaw anymore? Just your top upper head with a dangling tongue?

0|0
    0|0
  • what about just getting normal braces?

0|0
    0|0
  • if it'll make you happy with yourself and improve your self image / self confidence, go for it. you only live once.

but see if you can talk to people who had the same procedure done so you'll have realistic expectations.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, take them. They can dramatically improve your chewing, speaking, and breathing.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• It depends on how big your underbite is. I had it and had surgery 5 years ago and I'm still thankful I had the chance to do it. It improved my speaking, chewing, and gave me more confidence because I really hated it too.

It will hurt, you will think "God why have I done this?" for a couple of months. Yes months, because a swollen face and two broken jaws don't heal in a week's time. If you want I can give you my story of how my operation and recovery went, just let me know here. But if you do it, it'll be worth it.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it's a good solution, why avoid surgery?

0|0
    0|0
  • yea, if you can afford it go for it. It will help you out a lot whether it be for chewing, talking, or cosmetic reasons. I had an under bite but was able to correct it when I had braces. I had to sit for about 30 min a day and push my lower jaw back with a pop sickle stick and it eventually evened out my jaw to normal. It did not take long but I was growing so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. They also took out some teeth before they came in to prevent more growth in my lower jaw but I do not think that it did much and wish they never did that because now I have a baby tooth that some dentists have said may fall out when I become older since baby teeth are not meant to be in your mouth forever. The pop sickle stick trick may work for you depending on how mad it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • I got mine fixed with braces.. it's expensive though.. but my teeth are perfect now and I don't even wear my retainers anymore.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes